Complete Decongestive Therapy for patients with Lymphedema
Lymphedema is a condition that affects your lymph system. It often occurs after a surgery or due to infected issues and results in moderate to severe swelling in the extremities. With chronic swelling, there are many risks, including circulation issues, risk of infection and potential for future injury. It is very important to receive treatment for lymphedema immediately and to follow up on a routine basis.
Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) is a comprehensive lymphedema therapy treatment that includes the following:
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) – A gentle, hands-on massage of both the affected body part and adjacent selected areas. MLD can move lymph fluid from the swollen region into parts of the lymphatic system that are still
functioning. From there, the fluid is transported throughout the circulatory system.
- Compression Bandaging — After MLD, the treated area is wrapped with layers of compression bandages. Bandages help prevent the re-accumulation of lymphatic fluid.
- Therapeutic Exercise — Strengthen muscles and improve the circulation and function of the lymph system.
- Skin and Nail Care Education — People with lymphedema are at high risk for infection, especially cellulitis. Signs of cellulitis include redness, swelling, pain and fever. See your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms.
- Compression Garment Fitting — Once the affected body part is decongested, you will be fitted for a medical compression garment, such as an arm sleeve or thigh high to help maintain the treatment results.
- Personalized Education in Self-Care — Our lymphedema therapy specialists will teach you how to maintain your treatment progress through at-home techniques, including self-bandaging, self-massage, exercise, and skin and nail
Call us today to find out how our specialized lymphedema therapy program will help reduce your swelling and improve your daily life.
The Oncology Rehabilitation Program at On the Mend Physical Therapy in Mesa, Arizona provides specialized treatments to cancer patients to decrease chronic pain, increase endurance, strength, flexibility, range of motion, and most importantly, improve overall quality of life before, during and after chemotherapy treatments. Each session is designed to address the individual patient’s needs and provide extensive education to assist in his or her recovery. Our patients are educated in the following areas of
- What to Expect While in Treatment
Additionally our staff has received a National Accreditation through the Survivorship, Training and Rehabilitation Program, also known as STAR. This certification gives our therapists the knowledge needed to ensure that each and every Cancer Survivor is receiving the one on one attention that is needed to get the absolute best results. We help them return and continue with the quality of life they enjoyed prior to their diagnosis and treatment.
Patient benefits include:
- Decreased pain and reduced risk of chronic pain
- Decreased fatigue
- Decreased balance deficits and risk of falls
- Decreased edema
- Decreased risk of Lymphedema
- Improved range of motion, strength, and endurance
- Improved tissue mobility
- Improved activities of daily living