We are continuing to help cancer survivors with the treatment they need to improve their quality of life and return to the recreational and sports activities they deserve to take part in. Below are the descriptions of our Oncology Rehab and Lymphedema programs.
The Oncology Rehabilitation Program at On the Mend On the Move Physical Therapy in Mesa, Arizona provides specialized treatments to cancer survivors to increase their endurance, strength, flexibility, range of motion and most importantly, improve their overall quality of life before, during and after chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Each session is designed to address individual patient needs and provide extensive education to assist in their recovery. Some of the different areas our patients are educated in are:
- What to Expect While in Treatment
- Return to daily activities
We offer Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) is a comprehensive treatment for lymphedema that includes the following
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) – MLD is a gentle, hands-on massage of both the affected body part and adjacent selected areas. MLD can more lymph fluid from the swollen regiob into parts of the lymphatic system that are still functioning. From there, the fluid is transported throughout the circulatory system.
- Compression Bandaging — After MLD, the treated area is wrapped with layers of compression bandages. Bandages help prevent the re-accumulation of lymphatic fluid.
- Therapeutic Exercise — Medically supervised exercise programs are designed to strengthen muscles and improve circulation and function of the lymph system.
- Skin and Nail Care — People with lymphedema are at high risk for infection, especially cellulitis. Signs of cellulitis include redness, swelling, pain, and fever. See your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms.
- Compression Garment Fitting — Once the affected body part is decongested, you will be fitted for a medical compression garment, such as an arm sleeve or thigh high. These garments, worn daily, help maintain the results achieved through lymphedema treatment.
- Personalized Education in Self-Care — Our lymphedema specialists will teach you how to maintain your treatment progress through at-home techniques, including self-bandaging, self-massage, exercise, and skin and nail care.
For more information about these programs please contact at either of our 2 Mesa, AZ Location:
Power and Broadway 480-354-2911
Country Club and Baseline 480-436-5099